Supply & maintenance of fire extinguishers and fire safety equipment
Every business needs some sort of fire extinguisher, but unfortunately many business owners have been encouraged to buy too many and, sometimes, the wrong type or size!
Fire safety in businesses is governed by the requirements of the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005. This states that there must be sufficient fire extinguishers in your place of work to deal with any potential fire situation.
At Mr Fire Safety, we will assess your requirements (as part of your Fire Risk Assessment) and only after consultation, will supply and fit the appropriate equipment - in fact, if you don't need something we will tell you!
We supply high quality British made fire extinguishers at very competitive prices and we offer maintenance without the need to sign any lengthy contracts.
All of our fire extinguishers are kite marked to BSEN 3: Part 5, 1996 – ‘Portable Fire Extinguishers’ and guaranteed free from manufacturing defects for a period of five years.
Our BAFE approved maintenance engineers will advise on how many fire extinguishers you need, what type they should be, and where they should be located. We will deliver and install them in compliance with BS 5306; Part 8 - giving you complete peace of mind.
Water Fire Extinguishers
- Good for tackling fires involving burning paper, wood and soft furnishings.
- Does not contain harmful chemicals but has a low firefighting rating resulting in them being large and heavy.
- They cannot be used on live electrical apparatus.
Foam Fire Extinguishers
- Create a smothering film of foam over a fire, which starves the fire of oxygen
- Suitable for flammable liquids and areas where man-made fibre in soft furnishings and carpets might melt under the influence of heat.
- Safe for use with electrical equipment - the electrical equipment will, thereafter, be damaged by the liquid.
Carbon Dioxide Extinguishers
- Contain pressurised gas and therefore leave no residue.
- Ideal for use on fires involving computer equipment and other electrical appliances, as it does not cause damage to the electrical item.
Dry Powder Fire Extinguishers
- Suitable for fighting most fires, but can cause lots of mess and damage computers.
- Cannot be used in confined spaces.
Wet Chemical Fire Extinguishers
- Designed for use on kitchen fires involving burning oil and deep fat fryers.
Fire Extinguisher Maintenance and Servicing
Regular maintenance and servicing of your fire extinguishers is not only a legal requirement, but will give you the guarantee that your fire extinguishers will work when you need them to!
The Fire Safety Order states that fire extinguishers “will require periodic inspection, maintenance and testing’. British Standard 5306 prescribes that they should undergo an annual inspection by a competent engineer.
We have a choice of fire extinguisher maintenance and servicing contracts available to suit your requirements and all our fire extinguisher engineers are qualified to the industry standards, having undertaken training and examinations provided by the Independent Fire Engineering & Distributors Association (IFEDA) and approved by the British Standards Institution and BAFE (British Approvals for Fire Equipment), satisfying the requirements of SP101.
Fire Safety Equipment
- Essential in every kitchen
- Useful for smothering fires including people’s clothes.
Acoustic hold-open devices
- Where doors must have self-closing devices to protect means of escape, acoustic hold-open devices can be used to keep the door open - when the fire alarm activates, the door is released.
- No wiring required.
- Designed to help staff to evacuate people from upper floors in a dignified and relatively safe manner.
- Ideal in care homes, where the residents may be infirm.
- Often found in larger office complexes to assist with evacuation.
- Devices to prevent misuse of fire extinguishers
- To prevent activation of break glass alarms